And I realize that I have not even a FRACTION of their readers, but in the interest of keeping blog posts more regular, I am dipping my toe in today. My first installment isn't even about me - it's about Oliver!
So without further adieu, a few of my favorite Cat Items that, honestly, I don't think I could live without!
Zanies Furry Mice
Back in the day, Wooie loved these small mice, often so much she would flat-out ignore her other toys. Soon after adopting Ollie, we ordered a variety pack of toys and once he played with this one, it was love at first sight. So I did what any smart cat owner would do: I bought them in bulk. We are about halfway through our second box [there are 60 in each] and the mice cost about 20 cents each. I cannot think of a better use of my money!
Why I love them
- Countless hours of play
- Keeps Oliver from playing with non-toys such as: socks, computer cords, nail polish bottles, shoe laces, Christmas ornaments, etc.
The Ultimate Scratching Post
I know what you are thinking. Seriously, Jules? A scratching post is a scratching post...
Why I love it
- It's almost 3 feet high! Oliver can stretch vertically - he's even longer than the cutie in the above photo
- Since is so high, he can climb and scratch at once. It's almost like climbing a tree, which is ideal for this former outdoor feline.
- It has a large base so even though Ollie is quite strong, he cannot tip it over
- Oliver LOVES it and uses it many times per day. [Have you ever bought a post for a cat who did not even touch it? Total opposite here!]
**Admitedly this does not 'go' with my home decor. However, I have decided to overlook that because a single post is better than shredded furniture.
We bought this after a vet told us Oliver had allergies and breathing issues [thankfully, turns out he doesn't!] because it is low dust. After our first encounter with it, we have never looked back. It probably does cost a little more than the more mainstream brands, but it works so well I don't even care.
Why I love it
- It does not create any discernible dust
- It is shipped free via Amazon Prime
- It does not stick to Oliver's feet, so it does not end up all over the house
- It has no scent, and yet it absorbs litter box odors
For the record, never in a million years did I think I would wax poetic about cat litter. But I did. Amazon currently lists more than 1,100 reviews for the products, and it averages 4.5 stars so I am no the only one!
This is more of a niche item, but I am convinced it is a big part of why Oliver did so well when he flew on the airplane from Florida to Ohio in December. It is not cheap, but I had never flown with him and was willing to buy the luxury car equivalent if it made my life easier. If you absolutely have to fly with your cat [or small dog] this is for you.
Why I love it
- Comfy for kitty [fur liner!] and also dark so they feel more secure
- Loops over my carry-on handle
- Fits under the seat no problem
- [Relatively] easy to take kitty out during security
- Collapses for easy storage