Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Be a BETTER Version of Yourself This Year

We've already discussed my lack of enthusiasm for structured resolutions at certain times of the year.  Now that the first month of 2014 is wrapping up, I wonder how the traditionalists are doing with their life changes.    Did they stick to their diet?   Are they still going to the gym regularly?   Are they reading more books?    I'm not judging; just curious.

The good news is they still have eleven months to work on themselves, but the bad news is I often times think people lose steam because they set crazy, unrealistic goals.    I'm all for going big, but don't scare yourself off before you try   Much better to break them into smaller chunks, or simply set goals that are more fun to achieve.

May I present the best list of 'resolutions' I have seen so far.    Jess has the right idea, if you ask me.   Her blog is wonderful and you should definitely read it.   But if you don't want to click over, I have include her list here



The following are 10 simple things you can do to become a better, happier version of yourself in 2014- based on both personal experience and things I’ve learned along the way. 
1. START WEARING BOLD LIPSTICK
According to a L’Oreal survey, 75% of women believe that lipstick makes them feel more confident. That rings true for me as well. You can bet that I’m wearing a shade of red lipstick when I walk into a big presentation or client meeting. When I’m in a bad mood or feeling under the weather, MAC lipstick in Lady Danger is the first thing out of my bag. A girl can’t conquer the world without her lipstick.
2.    START ACTING THE WAY YOU WANT TO FEEL. 
Pay attention to this one.  It will make a world of difference in your life. In her book The Happiness Project, writer Gretchen Rubin encourages her readers to act the way they want to feel. Kind of a different version of “fake it ‘til you make it,” but guess what? It works. When you walk into the office on Tuesday morning and have that “Oh my God, its only Tuesday” feeling, put a smile on your face. Maybe you start humming your favorite song. Act excited about that new project someone handed to you. Pretend like it’s Friday. Before you know it, you won’t be miserable anymore.
3. CALL UP A FRIEND YOU’VE LOST TOUCH WITH
We all lose track of time in our lives. Old friendships fall by the wayside. That’s okay, it happens to all of us. Chances are, you’ve forgotten how much fun you used to have with your old college roommate, or neighbor from childhood. So stop making excuses, call them up and meet them for drinks, coffee, or Skype   
4.GIVE AT LEAST 3 PEOPLE A COMPLIMENT THIS MORNING
Know what always makes me feel good? Making other people feel good. It’s part of being human. It’s why we spend so much time picking out the perfect Christmas present or birthday card. We want to make others feel good. Stop waiting for an occasion to do so. Make a point to over compliment people every day. 
5. MAKE EVERY HUG LAST AT LEAST 20 SECONDS
Scientific evidence tells us that hugs lasting 20 seconds are more are proven to increase levels of oxytocin (a happy hormone.) Additionally, women in particular experience greater reductions in blood pressure than men after their hugs, says one article published on BBC.  
6. PICK ONE ARGUMENT PER DAY TO “LET GO”
Arguing sucks. Often times, both people are usually left feeling worse than they did before the confrontation if not handled correctly. I think we all argue a lot more than we need to. In 2014, let’s try to pick our battles. Let your Mom’s nagging go. Forget that your roommate forgot to lock the door on her way out. Cut people some slack and address only the things that really matter. 
7. SPEND JUST 5 MINUTES PER DAY TIDYING UP YOUR SPACE
This is coming from someone who turns her room into a tornado every time she gets dressed to go out. Lack of organization causes stress. Think of how serene you feel walking in the door after you’ve done your spring cleaning, or after your cleaning lady comes? Commit to spending just 5 minutes per day tidying things up, and you’ll feel a lot better when you wake up to a clean house each morning. 
8. PICK ONE NEW OR DIFFERENT THING TO TRY EVERY MONTH
This doesn’t have to be something earth-shattering. Pick up a book you would never normally read. Go to Chinatown. Sign up for Photoshop 101 on SkillShare.com. 12 “new” things a year is not a hard thing to do but it will make you feel much more accomplished. 
9. HAVE MORE CONVERSATIONS WITH STRANGERS
This one might seem a little strange at first. After all, our mothers always told us to never talk to strangers. I don’t know about you, but I’m always the most touched when I get a compliment from someone I don’t know, or experience a random act of kindness from a complete stranger. I get a lot out of hearing someone else’s story for the first time. In 2014, I want to talk to more strangers. 
10. STOCK UP ON CUTE GREETING CARDS
Everyone wants to be more like that friend who always has a sweet card in her back pocket when you need encouragement. Who never forgets to send a note for a birthday. Maybe she’s the family member who always gets her Thank You notes out on time. I am so far from that right now it’s not even funny. In 2014, I’m going to stock up on greeting cards, so I never have an excuse. 
Ideally I will post a monthly [or quarterly] progress report of how I am personally measuring up.   My initial reaction is I do some of these! and  I used to do some of these but stopped.   How did I fall off the bandwagon?

Bottom line,  it seems like a great way to make small changes that make you a better person, but in small ways make the world better too.   I have go to now - I haven't put my lipstick on yet today!


No comments: