Friday, January 24, 2014

7 Quick Takes: Week ending January 24

-1-
Last week we took a drive past the property and were pleased to see vertical steel beams!   This indicates that walls will be up - eventually - and those are rather important for a building.    I'm standing there in what will be the drive-thru to orient ourselves and to keep the scale in perspective.   I'm 5'9 so those are some tall beams.



-2-
Michael is doing additional training locally.   Mandatory franchisee training ended lsat month but he wants to keep his skills sharp for when those beams turn into walls turns into a restaurant.  His first day was Tuesday.   I have a connection to that shop owner's wife.  We went to the same church and her mom was my 3rd grade PSR teacher.  Small world!

-3-
We also HIRED OUR FIRST EMPLOYEE and it's someone I have known my whole life and love dearly and am related to!   Having her join this challenge is so exciting.  She's a pro and trustworthy and ideal in so many ways.   Her expertise cannot be measured, but we'll try by paying her a salary and providing her with a kick-ass work environment.   YAY

-4-
Movie Update
Philomena is VERY good.   Sad, haunting almost.   Worth the watch.  Bring tissues
Her is VERY weird.   Interesting concept, good acting, good production values, almost literary in some elements.   I just couldn't get behind the idea of an OS having emotions.   Both Michael and Mario enjoyed it more than me.   Not to say I hated it - it was just not my cup of tea.
Oz The Great and Powerful is worth the rent!  I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.   We needed an escape-type story after all the heady dramas we've been seeing!

-5-
It's still cold.   A second 'polar vortex' type snap is here.   Boo hiss.   I have contemplated wearing my Sugoi tights (aka Ninja Suit!) under my jeans while working here at home.  So far I have not pulled the trigger but I am tempted.   I did, however, decide to wear my thumb-loop running jacket today!



-6-
So... we are pumped to go to Florida next month.    Michael and I will be working to pack up the house but we can open the windows and with luck I can jog outside.   YAY!    We will also be playing as we celebrate Mom's 60th birthday, and thankfully Al will be able to join the whole fam-damily in the festivities thanks to Michael's expertise with airfare and a United voucher from September when our plane was broken.   Grrrr  - but at least it helped us get the family all in one spot!

-7-
I have been a FitBit fan for several years.    Well, my FitBit stopped syncing on January 1.   A rather ominous start to the new year for someone who never is without it.  I am happy to report that the FitBit customer service is absolutely amazing.   We did a bit of trouble shooting, diagnosed the issue, and they sent me a brand new device.   Seriously - amazing people to work with.   I'm still a little shocked I had any issue at all, but technology is not foolproof so at least they have a backup system.   Less than 4 days after the ultimate diagnosis, I have a new device in my house.   Amazing.

No comments: