Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reflecting upon 2011

I filled out all these questions in January 2010, and for whatever reason skipped them in early 2011.   Alas.   Here is my summary of 2011, in January 2012.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Lots!   Travel related: I took a bus to New York City a mere 48 hours after booking said reservation, went to Colombia, (rode on a horse!) went to Puerto Rico, experienced a damn Ithaca winter.   Went to St. Louis for the first time (!) to surprise my best friend for her birthday.  Highly recommended by the way.   


Random events: Worked from home without combing my hair all day.   Also highly recommended.  Ate at a AAA 5 Diamond restaurant.  Attended a high school reunion (relatedly drank beer on campus!).  Saw NKOTBSB LIVE IN CONCERT complete with a surprise appearance by Boyz II Men
Mundane nonsense: dyed my hair darker than my natural color
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No.....I'm not usually the resolutions type... I pretty much set goals every moment of my life, no t just once a year
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes!  Kari (friend since 1988!) had a baby and Alexa (from high school) had baby #2
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My kitty cat of 16 years.... Wooie died on 1.4.11
Pets totally count.
5. What countries did you visit?
Colombia!  Within the US and its territories, went to Lake Placid, NY, Buffalo, NY, New York City, Cleveland, OH,  Tarpon Springs, FL, Washington, DC (twice!), Puerto Rico, Beaufort, SC
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
In 2009 I said I wanted a job and artwork on the walls and the Indians to win the World Series.    Lucky for me, I now have 2 of those 3.   So in 2012 maybe the Tribe will pull through for me? 


7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
While this was a good year, I don't have major dates etched in my memory from 2011.   Well, maybe 11.11.11 because Nene and her family went on a cruise to celebrate the magical triple 11s and then came to visit us.  But that wasn't on the 11th...
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Landing a FULL! TIME! JOB! for the first time in a long time.  
9. What was your biggest failure?
Oh this is funny.   I do not fail!   I am a superhero!   Seriously though I'd say there are too many items to list.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not that I can recall.  No stitches, broken bones, etc.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My gorgeous yellow coach bag that makes me smile every time I see it and wear it and get compliments on it.  Wooooooo.    Or, you know, maybe tickets to Colombia, which was pretty awesome

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Michael for graduating from Cornell University with a damn high GPA!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mostly celebrities... this year Kim Kardashian would probably take the cake.
14. Where did most of your money go?
To our AmEx bill!  Specifically, travel.   I took so many flights in 2011 it's not even funny.   All on separate airlines, for the most part, so I am not cashing in with the frequent flier mile situation.  And as always, to the Osceola County tax collector.

15. What did you get really excited about?
My yellow purse (see #11), my FITBIT which I received for Christmas

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Probably Party Rock Anthem since I heard it approximately 2,011 times each week on the radio.  And also I ran to it a lot.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

- happier or sadder? I am generally a happy person, but since we are back in Florida in our house and not in a cruddy apartment, happier.
- thinner or fatter? Thinner than I was in at the end of 2010 for sure!   Woooo GO ME!
- richer or poorer? Richer -monetarily speaking- because I have a full time job
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Relaxed and enjoyed the present moment.  Oh look I said that LAST TIME!   I shall take up meditation.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Flitting about from task to task instead of focusing on one thing at a time. Oh again this is applicable.  Shocking.   And maybe done less complaining about my crappy apartment.  Then again..... ;)  Worrying in general
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We were in Ohio, as usual, with our families. The Sertich grandparents were in town, and so was Marissa!  YAY!   My immediate family remains the same, but our crazy Lasky family gathering is growing in size, yet remains a loud, joyful celebration.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I stayed in love!  I don't think I love anyone in 2011 that I did not love the previous year.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I am so lame I barely watch TV.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not that I can recall...  Well.   I hate what Jim Tressel DID and the consequences the Buckeyes are facing.  Does that count?
24. What was the best book you read?
This year I would probably say The Hunger Games trilogy because they were captivating and entertaining and I did not want them to end.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oh this question is always an epic fail.  I do not listen to music.  Well, I do but nothing particular cool.   I guess Adele?   I became more aware of her in 2011 that's for sure.
26. What did you want and get?
Lots of things! The usual mush like health and happiness and success and all that jazz.
27. What did you want and not get?
Again, I don't remember having a list of wants last year, to be honest.  (Boring- sorry)
27a. What did you not want and not get? Lots of things! A nasty hurricane season, to name one

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2 was pretty awesome.   So was The Muppets.  How old am I?  10?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 and we went to 5 Guys and I had a burger.   We also had possibly the worst cake on the planet, made by Ithaca bakery.  Good thing the ice cream was tasty.   I received a cozy robe, which was one of Oprah's favorite things.  I find it amazing that I own one of Oprah's favorite things.  Who am I?
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Re-using my answer from 2 years ago (because it's true) I am a glass is half-full person and plead the 5th.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I work from home so this is rather pathetic....  shorts and tank tops are the majority of my days.   I did, however, accessorize a bit more than in previous years which is impressive to me.
32. What kept you sane?
Many many cups of tea.  Friends and family and the ability to IM with coworkers at any given moment despite living more than 1000 miles from almost all of them.  
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Same as always: Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman. and this year I saw NPH at EPCOT and I fancied him for sure.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Politics drives me bats, in general.  Can't we all get along?
35. Who did you miss?
Family and friends we've met along the way who do not live in Florida and therefore don't see enough.  And all my Ithaca co-workers who I see online each day but it's just not the same
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My new Ithaca remote co-workers who technically I have met only via instant message.  But it totally counts.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
For real?   I have no idea.  How to drive in the snow when they don't plow or salt...  While driving a Mazda 3?  Seriously..... no clue
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters"  DMB, The Best of What's Around

1 comment:

jennifer anderson said...

Kim Kardashian is doing her J-O-B, which is entertaining us...and she does this at no expense to us, as I don't buy any of their crap or magazines about them. Celebs shouldn't be expected to be moral or full of morals necessarily, as they never claimed to be sinless and the lifestyle of hollywood is so especially so not so. who knows, maybe the groom nknew how to get rid of a wife with no one blaming him!