Tuesday, February 2, 2010

If you like pina coladas, and gettin' caught in the rain....

...you would have loved the past 36 hours of my life. Not because of the pina colada bit. No, that would be too easy. I have gotten caught in the rain TWICE since yesterday morning.

Incident #1, Monday 10:30 am
I tend to do grocery runs on Monday, and yesterday was no different. After I ran and did my OCD strength training, I thought it best to shower before subjecting myself to the cashiers at Publix. I showered, dried and styled my hair. [Now would be a good time to note that I was wearing a gray tank under a white shirt, yoga pants, and flip flops] Grabbed the car keys, noticed the dark clouds above the house, grabbed umbrella just in case (also thought umbrella in car would delay rain). Thought "I hope the rain holds off until I'm back" and CUE DOWNPOUR! No joke. Walking in rain is not a big deal, so I went into the store with my trusty umbrella and did my shopping. I dawdled just slightly, hoping the rain would end. Yeah, not so much. Walked outside, downpour continued. Have you ever tried to load groceries into a car holding an umbrella? It doesn't work. I was saturated. My white shirt stuck to me like glue, my feet were soaked, and so was the bottom inch of my pants. And my thighs too, since the rain was coming down SIDEWAYS!

Oh but the fun did not end in the parking lot. You see, we do not have an attached garage in our lovely home. I park in the driveway, which is behind the pool. To enter the house, I must exit the car (duh), open the pool fence, walk along the deck, and unlock the back door. This is not usually a big deal. Add an umbrella, it's kind of amusing. Add groceries, and you can't do it. Two hands cannot hold an umbrella, groceries, and open a gate and unlock a door. The umbrella was the only non-essential. (My mother would argue this point, saying I could leave the food in the car and come back later. But I had frozen stuff and this is Florida and it was kind of warm. ) I grabbed my groceries and made a run for it. My goodness. When I got inside, I was soaked to the bone. My clothes were dripping. I had to change into a dry outfit before I could even unpack the groceries. And my newly dried and styled hair? Looked like TRASH! It was hilarious.

Incident #2, Tuesday 8:20 am
The horrific downpour of yesterday had ceased overnight, but more showers were forecast. Since the skies didn't look too bad at 7:30 I headed out for my run. I did a short loop so as to not tempt fate. I stopped in the club house for my usual water and brief chat. Noticed the skies getting dark, then darker, then purpley gray. "Marla, I should probably go... it's going to rain on me" Marla, forever the optimist, said the weather report said we had 15 minutes. Excellent! I walked out the door, and was less than 2 minutes down the sidewalk when CUE DOWNPOUR! Again. Dammit. Did I have an umbrella? No! Was I holding my not waterproof iPod? YES! I started to sprint, but then realized I was still a mile from home and it would make no difference. So I laughed out loud and continued to get soaked. Wouldn't you know, less than 5 minutes later, it slowed to a weak drizzle. (Note to self: wait it out in clubhouse next time) By the time I got home, the rain had stopped. But once again, I was saturated. All clothing was wet, my shoes had water in them that gushed out every time I took a step, and my ponytail was dripping. For the 2nd time in less than 24 hours, I had to go upstairs and change my clothes before I could do any other activities. (in this case, my OCD strength training)

What is UP with this nonsense? I keep hearing about el Nino creating excessive moisture all across the country right now. You know what? El Nino can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: