Friday, August 28, 2009

Goodbye, Reading Rainbow

I have just learned (via Pannie's status on facebook) that Reading Rainbow is ending today. My sister and I loved that show. As young children with no cable TV our television programs consisted of Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and Reading Rainbow. Zoobilee Zoo was added to our repertoire soon after, and as we got older, Ghostwriter and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? I actually think that not watching much TV was good for us. We read books, played out all sorts of make believe scenarios, and drew under the coffee table. (Literally. The underside of the wood is covered with markers. Dad didn't even know till a couple years ago!) But the shows we did watch had an impact; I'm fairly certain that on more than one occasion, I went to the library with a list of book titles I learned about while watching Reading Rainbow. I haven't watched the show in years, but I am still saddened that no new episodes will be created.

At least I still know the theme song

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high
Take a look, it's in a book... Reading Rainbow!




No comments: