Sunday, February 24, 2013

Princess Run Itinerary





3:00 am
WAKE UP
People are on their way home from the bar at that hour.   Alison and I were waking up to get ready for our 1/2 marathon.

3:35
DEPARTURE TIME
Mary Lynn (my mother in law and fellow runner) drove us to EPCOT for the start.

3:55
ARRIVE AT EPCOT
Try to remember where we parked the car (Create 42 and we did!)

4:00
WANDER INTO THE PRE-RACE AREA
Notice there are tons of women wearing tutus and glitter
Eat our PBJs
Pit stop

4:20
HEAD TO OUR CORRALS
Pass expired disney vehicles such as old jungle cruise boats and backlot trams
See a man wearing a tutu
Pit stop

4:45
ARRIVE AT CORRALS
Say bye to ML who is in group A after finishing her previous half in 2:02
We are newbies with no times and head to group D

4:55
DECIDE WE SHOULD SIT
Al finds a garbage bag so her yellow shorts stay clean
Watch the jumbotron which includes a bunch of nutcases 'hosting' the preshow [who Al was convinced were on drugs] act extra cheery about the ridiculous hour of the day

5:00
Outside temperature: 68 degrees
100% humidity
YIKES

5:35
GROUP A START
ML is off!

5:56
GROUP D START
We are off!

During the next 2+ hours, we 'off-roaded' to avoid slow people in our way on the pavement.  We heard words of encouragement from spectators and fellow runners.  We also had Mom, Michael, Sal & Mario there cheering us on.





We ran from EPCOT up to the Magic Kingdom, through Cinderella's castle, and back in 2:21.   Not the time we were hoping for, but you have to start somewhere.   The weather was not ideal.  It was warm and very humid.   I actually got the chills part way through the race because I was drenched.   Kind of gross.   But Al kept me going and we finished strong!




We heard live music and saw countless Disney characters along our route.   It was our first 1/2 marathon and I was so glad my sister was my running buddy.   There were 26,000 runners, and we finished 2842, so in the top 10.9% of runners.   For my first race, even though I did not run quite as fast as I'd like, I am happy to be in that group.



Now all we have to do is decide what race to run next.   Now that we have a time to submit, we can get a closer corral and start working on shaving minutes off our time.


No comments: