1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I got married! (And along with that, bought a wedding gown, planned a wedding, etc. etc. etc.) Michael and I moved into our own house!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't recall making any. I'm not usually the resolutions type... I say, if something needs to be done, do it, no matter what day it is.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Molly (from AU) had baby #2 and Alexa (from high school) had baby #1, named JULIA :)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. Grandma Bilz died in June :(
5. What countries did you visit?
I haven't left the country in quite some time, though I did cross a couple time zones on our honeymoon to Arizona.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Perhaps a job?! Oh that might be nice. And artwork on the walls of our house. And the Indians winning the world series, but come on, now. This should be a serious list.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Our wedding day, 9/19/09, stands out as the obvious biggie
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Oh I don't know- did I achieve anything this year? I became a wife but I didn't really do anything to become one, if you think about it. I helped keep a single family home in working order, which is also called 'basic living 101'
9. What was your biggest failure?
That job thing, probably
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not until five days ago while I was home. Thanks, Ohio, for the congestion and coughing to ring in the new year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Oh, Michael would say our fancy pants HD big screen TV. And I enjoy it and can't think of anything else right now, so there it is.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mother, for planning a wedding for children living 1000 miles away. Lots of phone hours logged on that one. Thanks, mom! And of course all the bridesmaids and friends for assistance in the previously mentioned celebration. Finally, Michael, for putting up with me, and for getting into Cornell's graduate program! WOOOOOOOOOOO
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mostly celebrities... namely, Tiger Woods.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Into Michael's checking account when we combined our money. And also to the Osceola County tax collector.
15. What did you get really excited about?
The usual suspects: Space Mountain, ice cream, Ohio sports teams, taking photos
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Ironically, a song that was not written in 2009.... Don't Stop Believin' as performed by the Glee cast
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? About the same, probably. I don't remember
- thinner or fatter? I weigh the same as I did last year, but maybe with a smidge more muscle tone? So technically thinner (as in, less fat)
- richer or poorer? Richer because our two accounts have merged as one. But poorer since we are a one-income famiglia
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Relaxed and enjoyed the present moment.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Flitting about from task to task instead of focusing on one thing at a time. Perhaps I have found my 2010 NY Resolution?!
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We were in Ohio, as usual, with our families. The Sertich grandparents were in town, but Marissa was still externing, as the gang celebrated Christmas in the new house! Also, poor ML had swine flu, ick. My family role call was the same, as was our loud, joyful celebration.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I darn well better- I have a husband now!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
It's a toss-up: One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Both highly recommended.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sadly, I am an ignoramus when it comes to music. I do not recall making any discoveries, except maybe the Glee soundtracks, which is kind of pathetic isn't it? I have mostly oldies and goodies on my iPod
26. What did you want and get?
Lots of things! Most notable and concrete: A beautiful wedding surrounded by all the people we love. A new computer
27. What did you want and not get?
I don't remember having a list of wants last year, to be honest.
27a. What did you not want and not get? Lots of things! A nasty hurricane season, to name one
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
What movies did I see this year?! Well, I really enjoyed Star Trek and Up in theaters. And I think we watched Slumdog Millionaire in early January, so that counts, too
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 and PANNIE WAS HERE! Also, we had delicious cake.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I am a glass is half-full person and plead the 5th.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Tank tops, flip-flops and a pedicure
32. What kept you sane?
Pannie, Michael, Mom and Al, in no particular order. This is ironic because the majority of people on that list are NOT sane at all.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Same as always: Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman. Yes, I saw Invictus. No, I did not drool.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I hear about so many, since Michael is my political nerd... I'd go with health care of gay marriage. Different issues, but both mind-boggling
35. Who did you miss?
Family and friends we've met along the way who do not live in Florida and therefore don't see enough.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't even know who I have met this year - how pathetic.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Jules, you gotta relax. (TM Michael, who has been saying it since 2002. I am slowly learning this lesson)
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
This poses a great challenge to those who have trouble remembering words to songs... "Whatever comes our way, ah, we'll see it through/And you know that's what our love can do" Michael Buble, Everything