Monday, June 10, 2013

Friffles

Have we talked about friffles?   I don't think we have.

Several years ago, when ruffles were just becoming trendy and were consequently added to every single piece of women's clothing, the word was born.  Hannah and I were waiting in line at Loft in DuPont.   I noticed a particularly ruffled dress while we were waiting and I said something to the effect of "Look at that giant friffle dress!" and thus created a new word.  (Hannah and I have learned several words together.   Er - I have learned the new words, she stood by me.  See also: delicatessen)

The thing is, I don't really like friffles.  I am more of a tailored or preppy person, you see.   Think Banana Republic, polka dots, linen pants, etc.  I am also 5'9 and rather athletic in build - long arms, long legs, not super curvy.   I joke with Hannah that I look like RuPaul when I wear the frilly stuff.  It works well- it doesn't like me, I don't like it.   Also I like making fun of myself, so this nonsense goes a long way.

So, for the last 5 years or so, we have had an ongoing joke about the excessing fabric additions.   In my defense, I have purchased clothing with fabric adornments, more pleats than friffles....  though I did buy a decidedly friffly dress to wear to my cousin's wedding last year.   Yes I sent a pic to Hannah from the fitting room.   I was petrified, she was cracking up.  Baby steps.   But nothing on this earth could prepare me for this.


During the Tony's last night

H: We need to talk about Cicely Tyson's Tony's dress.  The friffle is EATING HER
J: I know!  Dangerous sartorial choice
H: That is excessive friffle

No comments: