Monday, December 19, 2011

Sing We Joyous All Together

While we're on the subject of all things holiday (see also: It's a Wonderful Life, The Nutcracker) why not talk about music?

For me, Christmas music is as much a part of the holiday season as the tree or the gifts or the online shopping.   Unlike my local radio stations, which begin before HALLOWEEN, I don't start to play Christmas songs until after Thanksgiving.  On the way back from South Carolina, I revel in my freedom to play 6 hours of Christmas music.  Poor Michael.

I have a Christmas playlist on my iPod that includes approximately 36 hours of Christmas music.  I have another Christmas playlist that is instrumental only, appropriate for dinner or times when you don't want to sing along.   I don't know when this time would be.  As a child my dad often would say "Julia, no singing at the table"   For this reason, it helps to have instrumental music whilst eating.   Yet another playlist is labeled Christmas Run and includes all the peppier songs that are appropriate for a jog around the neighborhood.   When you live in the Sunshine state you really can jog outside in December.  It is lovely.  And confusing.

My favorite Christmas song of all time?   That's easy.   Silent Night.  Do you know the story of Silent Night?   I do, mostly because on A Christmas Together John Denver tells the story before he sings Stille Nacht with the Muppets.  Beautiful song, beautiful story.

My favorite Christmas album?  Whoa boy.   That is a toughie.

1) James Taylor at Christmas

Does this require an explanation?  Anyone who has ever heard JT sing knows he is amazing.  Every song is expectedly wonderful.  Even Jingle Bells, which I find a bit tedious at times, is enjoyable thanks to his bluesy interpretation.
Favorite song on the album: Who Comes This Night

2) Amy Grant (all 3, plus the EP, don't judge me)


Amy Grant is awesome because her albums are always a mixture of fast and slow, religious and secular songs.  No matter your mood, Amy Grant will have a song for you.
Favorite song on all albums:  I have 39 Amy Grant Christmas songs.  I cannot choose!  Mister Santa is my least favorite.... how's that?

3) The Time Life Treasury of Christmas


This collection features all the old classics sung by Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Andy Williams, etc.
Favorite song on the album: This is so hard!  White Christmas.  No, Home for the Holidays.

4) Kenny & Dolly's Once Upon a Christmas

Classic singers, a wonderful mix of original songs and standards.
Favorite song on the album: With Bells On

5) Sugarland's Gold & Green


This is a new one, but as with Kenny & Dolly, I love the mixture of original songs along with their interpreting old favorites.
Favorite song on the album: Gold and Green


6) A Rockapella Holiday


Did you watch Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?  Remember the theme song?  Rockapella sang it! This is a legit group that has been recording for years.  And they are awesome.  Some new members over the years but fantastic a cappella singing still reigns supreme.  I have all 3 albums, this is their newest, out in November.  In fact, we are seeing them in concert (again!) on Thursday in Tampa!  So pumped
Favorite song on the album: Christmas All Together

No comments: