Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Movie Feature

I had been planning to write an homage to my favorite Christmas movies.  There are several, but my favorite Christmas movie ever also happens to be my Favorite Movie Ever.

It's a Wonderful Life

This movie and I go way back.  I don't remember the first time I saw it, but it was almost certainly on TV in the 1990s.   You see, my parents always went to the Company Christmas Party in mid-December.   Always on a Saturday, it was the fanciest night of the year.  Mom wore a glittery dress, Dad a jacket and tie!  When your Dad works in the steel industry, these items are not frequently donned.



Initially this night meant a babysitter.  Nene or Auntie or sometimes a neighborhood girl.   But when we were young-ish either they couldn't find anyone or they trusted us because Al and I were left Home Alone!   (Another favorite movie for another time)  Our stay-at-home evenings were very exciting.  I made macaroni and cheese for dinner, which is still a requested item when my sister and I are together at home.  We ate in the family room (!) and watched It's a Wonderful Life on TV.   I am sure I had seen parts of it before, but the first time I saw it start to finish was on a Saturday in December with my sister.

Like clockwork, every year, on that same Saturday as the Christmas party, NBC aired It's a Wonderful Life.  I laughed and cried and my sister laughed at me.  She claimed to like Mr. Potter best.

While it's a Christmas movie, the movie is about so much more than that.  Family togetherness, true friendships, the importance of each individual to so many people, and above all, that life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.

It's a simple film and these messages remain universal.

There are so many 'wonderful' components to this movie, that I encourage you to hop over to The Pioneer Woman's contributor post and get his take.  It's well written and sums up why the movie is still enjoyed by so many.

No comments: