Thursday, December 3, 2009

Anticipation

You know when you're a kid the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas drag on and on and on? Not only do you have to wait for Christmas, you have to GO TO SCHOOL while doing it. In short, December is tough. Especially when your sister's birthday is 11 days before Christmas and she gets presents twice! Actually that never bothered me; I was usually too psyched for Christmas to care what she got after she blew out the candles.

Anyway. As an adult the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas go by at lightening speed. Have you ever noticed that? I think the days lose hours. The first week of December has 20 hours per day, and the second week has 18. The third week has 15 and then, well, just before Christmas good luck- the days just blur together. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I very much enjoy the holiday season and is usually that nut wrapping presents and baking four kinds of cookies in the same afternoon, singing along to Amy Grant's three Christmas albums.

But this year? Whoa. I am going somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas! Practically no one does this except business travelers so I feel pretty special, let me tell you. And also, tickets are so darn cheap between these two big holidays. Too bad the same can't be said for travel the week of Christmas. But I digress. So guess where I am going? I'm thinking this won't be a big game or anything because the person who reads my blog the most thought of the trip in the first place. Ok I'll tell you. I am going to DC to visit PANNIE for 5 WHOLE DAYS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Since 2001, our freshman year in college, Hannah and I have seen The Nutcracker in some form on a stage in DC. Kennedy Center, Warner Theater, doesn't matter. We are totally there, singing (humming?) along to the entire score. We're quite animated during the various ethnic dances. Last year was the first year we did not go, since I live in Florida and she is in DC and it's hard to coordinate such a cultural event in one evening, while the participants span 5 states. And let me tell you, it was sad. I tried to make up for it by buying Pannie Nutcracker themed ornaments (which were very cute) but it didn't work. So this fall I received the following e-mail:
In other news: I think you need to come visit this fall/winter. We need some roommate bonding time--I am in withdrawal. I'm starting to receive info about this year's Nutcracker performances, and I must say, it rather sucked not to enjoy holiday festivities with you last year. I'm just throwing that out there for your consideration.

And by golly, she twisted my arm. So not only am I anticipating Christmas and seeing my family in Ohio and all that jazz, I am also anticipating my DC trip! It's less than a week away, and I am now realizing I don't really have the right clothes or shoes. What the heck happened to my cold weather clothing?! Especially my ballet-appropriate clothing?!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

One week from now I will be on my way to meet you at Zorba's. Words cannot express my excitement.