Monday, September 22, 2008

Ode to the Muppets

First of all, in case you can't tell from the name of my blog (which is named after Pepe the King Prawn), I love the Muppets. Jim Henson was a genius and I am still saddened to think he died at age 53 of a rare illness almost 20 years ago. Who knows where the Muppets would be now if he had been involved all these years. But this is a happy post.

See, it looks like the Disney folks are planning to bring back the Muppets in several different ways. If you'd like details, please read the entire New York Times article. There's a great picture of Pepe along the left column. If you don't want to read the article and have better things to do with your time, I shall summarize. Disney is going to market the hell out of the Muppets. They'll appear in Disney Channel specials with teeny bopper favorites such as The Jonas Brothers and High School Musical cast members. Muppets will also appear in brand new videos on Disney.com and YouTube (see below). And for those who want a bit more interaction, a Muppet boutique at the New York flagship of F. A. O. Schwarz will be opening soon. Shoppers will build their own Muppets, a la Build a Bear. (Al will have to try this since she lives so close) I am most looking forward to seeing them in the Macy's Parade and in NBC's Muppet Christmas special.

Also, I'm pretty sure you have 2 minutes to spare if you just read my blog, so watch this video. It's hilarious, patriotic, and Sam the Eagle is one of my favorite Muppets of all time.

No comments: