Thanks to creativity on the part of Google, many folks are aware of Sesame Street's 40th birthday today. In fact, Google has been helping us remember for the past week.
I had a very pleasant childhood for many reasons. One very important reason is the fact that I spent many many hours watching Sesame Street with my mom and my sister. And during reruns on Saturday, Dad too.
I learned a lot from the program and its cast, though this list is in no way comprehensive:
- The difference between near and far, over, under, around and through (Grover)
- Monsters are not scary
- C is for Cookie which is good enough for me!
- Lots of elementary Spanish, such as counting (Maria), Cerrado means 'closed' (Miami Mice and Ernie), and Peligro means 'danger' (Placido Flamingo)
- It's OK to rewrite song lyrics (Don Music & Kermit the Frog)
- If you can't sleep, don't count loud items (Bert & Ernie)
- When in the jungle, you must talk quietly (Guy Smiley)
And, most importantly, the fact that deep down, We Are All Earthlings