Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Can you tell me how to get, How to get to Sesame Street

search.jpg
Thanks to creativity on the part of Google, many folks are aware of Sesame Street's 40th birthday today. In fact, Google has been helping us remember for the past week.

I had a very pleasant childhood for many reasons. One very important reason is the fact that I spent many many hours watching Sesame Street with my mom and my sister. And during reruns on Saturday, Dad too.

I learned a lot from the program and its cast, though this list is in no way comprehensive:
  • The difference between near and far, over, under, around and through (Grover)
  • Monsters are not scary
  • C is for Cookie which is good enough for me!
  • Lots of elementary Spanish, such as counting (Maria), Cerrado means 'closed' (Miami Mice and Ernie), and Peligro means 'danger' (Placido Flamingo)
  • It's OK to rewrite song lyrics (Don Music & Kermit the Frog)
  • If you can't sleep, don't count loud items (Bert & Ernie)
  • When in the jungle, you must talk quietly (Guy Smiley)
And, most importantly, the fact that deep down, We Are All Earthlings

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Ok, did you see my post before you did this? Because if not... weeeeird.

Jules said...

I had a pretty crappy rough draft thinking I'd link to fun videos... your google mention helped me solidify the post. And I came up with the 'what I have learned' bit at the very end of my creative process :)

Rachelle said...

I'd "tip my hat" to Ernie and the song "Imagine That" :-) And let us not forget "The Ladybugs' Picnic"!